Preventative Care

Premier Physician Network providers answer frequently asked questions about preventative care.

What Should I Do if my Child Swallows Something Poisonous?

Breanna Veal, PA-C explains: What Should I Do if my Child Swallows Something Poisonous?



Protect your child against poisons by keeping cleaning supplies, dish liquid, laundry detergent, medicines and other dangerous materials out of reach.

But don’t underestimate your child’s curiosity–and climbing ability. If your child does eat or drink something poisonous, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends you follow these steps:

  • For a child who is collapsed or not breathing: Call 911 immediately to get medical help.
  • For an awake, alert child you think has been poisoned: Call the nationwide poison control center at 800-222-1222, which is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

How your child is treated will be based on the poison ingested and the situation, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).

Talk to your child’s doctor for more information about what to do if he or she comes in contact with a poisonous substance.

Learn more:

Source: Suzanne Bell, MD, Vandalia Family Care; Tracie Bolden, MD, Fairfield Road Physician Offices; Timothy Markus, MD, Dayton Heart Center; Allison Mendenhall, PA-C, Troy Primary Care Physicians; Katrina Paulding, MD, Samaritan North Family Physicians; Breanna Veal, PA-C, Walden Ponds Primary Care: James Halderman, MD, Jamestown Family Medicine; Christopher Lauricella, DO, Family Medicine of Vandalia; Marcus Washington, MD, Premier Health Family Medicine; Ann DeClue, MD, Ann DeClue, MD; Angelia Mickle, DNP, Jamestown Family Medicine; Leelmohan Ravikumar, MD, Troy Primary Care Physicians; Aaron Block, MD, MPH, Franklin Family Practice; Mansi Amin, DO, SureCare Medical Center, Tammy Taylor, DO, The Pediatric Group