Answers to Common Healthy Homes Questions

Premier Health providers answer frequently asked questions about healthy homes.

What should someone do if they suspect they have symptoms from mold exposure?

If you’re concerned that you might have allergy symptoms from being exposed to mold, it’s important to visit a doctor, according to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and ImmunologyOff Site Icon (ACAAI). First visit your primary care provider, who may in certain instances, refer you to an allergist.

An allergist can review your medical history, review your symptoms and do skin or blood testing to find out if your allergic reactions are truly to mold, according to the ACAAI.

You can help your allergist by keeping track of your symptoms for at least two weeks before your appointment. The ACAAI recommends keeping track of the following to help your allergist determine if you have a mold allergy:

  • Date and time of the allergy symptoms
  • How long after starting to have symptoms you took medicine
  • Length of time symptoms lasted
  • Medicines (prescription or over-the-counter) you used to relieve symptoms
  • What you were doing when the symptoms started
  • What you were eating when the symptoms started
  • Where you were when the symptoms started

Until you have visited your allergist and come up with a care plan, it’s important that you try to avoid mold and the places where you had symptoms, according to the ACAAI.

Talk to your doctor for more information about what to do if you think you have allergy symptoms to mold.

Learn more:

Source: Ann DeClue, MD, Ann DeClue MD; Joseph Leithold, MD, Woodcroft Family Practice; Jennifer Philpot, CNP, Stillwater Family Care; Angelia Mickle, DNP, Jamestown Family Medicine