Answers to Common Eye Health Questions

Premier Health providers answer frequently asked questions about eye health.

What is the recovery like after eyelid surgery?

The majority of recovery after eyelid surgery takes place in the first two weeks after surgery, according to the Premier Physician Network (PPN). 

During this time, patients’ will have a lot of swelling and redness to their eyelids, according to PPN physicians. Patients will use a lubricating ointment and try to keep their head elevated.  

Most importantly, each patient should follow their doctor’s after-surgery instructions carefully to make the best recovery possible. 

After about a month, 80 percent of the swelling will have gone away, according to PPN physicians. The remaining 20 percent of swelling will go down over time but varies by body type how long it takes. 

Talk to your doctor for more information about recovery after eyelid surgery. 

Learn more: 

Source: Edward Thomas, MD, FACS, Ohio Eyecare Institute; Amina Husain Zaman, MD, Ohio Eyecare Institute; Peter Koumas, DO, Ohio Eyecare Institute

Schedule an appointment

If you are concerned about diabetes and eye health, find a local diabetes center or ophthalmologist by calling (866) 608-FIND(866) 608-FIND or complete the form below to receive a call from our scheduling department to make an appointment.