Answers to Common Cancer Prevention Questions

Premier Health providers answer frequently asked questions about cancer prevention.

Can all cancers be prevented, and how do we know this through recent research?

Multiple studies in recent years, including one reported the National Institutes of HealthOff Site Icon (NIH), state how most types of cancer are preventable through lifestyle changes.

It is believed that only 5 percent to 10 percent of all cancer cases – more than 10,000 worldwide each year – can be attributed to genetic defects, according to the NIH. That leaves 90 percent to 95 percent of cancer cases where the cause can be attributed to environment and lifestyle choices.

Those lifestyle and environmental choices could include smoking, diet, alcohol use, sun exposure, pollutants in the environment, infections, obesity, stress and physical inactivity, according to the NIH.

For more information about which cancers can be prevented, talk with your doctor.

Learn more:

Source: Susan Davis-Brown, MD, Brookville Family Care; Dori Thompson, MD, Springboro Family Medicine; Marcus Washington, MD, Premier Health Family Medicine; Chandan Gupta, MD, Monroe Medical Center; Joshua Ordway, MD, Franklin Family Practice; Mark Ringle, MD, Beavercreek Family Physicians; Douglas Gaker, MD, Premier Urology Center; J. Scott Wilcher, MD, North Dayton Surgeons; Todd Hicks, Premier Plastic Surgeons; Geetha Ambalavanan, MD, Fairborn Medical Center; Kenneth Reed, DO, Premier Gastroenterology Specialists; Thomas Heck, MD, Gem City Surgical Breast Cancer Center

Schedule an appointment

To schedule an appointment with a primary care provider, call (866) 608-FIND(866) 608-FIND or complete the form below to receive a call from our scheduling department to make an appointment.