Answers to Common Burn and Wound Questions

Premier Health providers answer frequently asked questions about burns and wounds.

When should a person seek medical help for a burn?

Dr. Perry discusses different degrees of burns. Click play to watch the video or read the transcript.


For anything other than a very minor first-degree burn, Premier Health Specialists’ (PHS) physicians recommend seeking medical attention. 

A first-degree burn, according to the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), is red and painful, but does not become “thick” looking or blister.

With a burn, your physician will want to know how soon the burning process was stopped. With extremely bad burns, a doctor will also want to decide how soon a patient can be helped medically to begin a recovery process, according to PHS physicians.

Talk to your doctor for more information about when to seek medical help for burns.

Learn more:

    Travis Perry, MD, Comprehensive Burn and Wound Specialists

    Headshot of Travis L.

    Travis L.

    View Profile