When should an adult see a health care provider for ear pain?

There are some times when you’ll need to visit your health care provider to take care of your ear pain, according to the National Institutes of HealthOff Site Icon (NIH).

Make an appointment to visit your health care provider, according to the NIH, if:

  • A high fever, severe pain, or irritability that lasts or gets worse longer within 24-48 hours
  • Severe pain that stops suddenly, which could be a sign of a ruptured eardrum

Talk to your doctor for more information about when you need medical care for ear pain.