Stroke is the third leading cause of death in the United States. Symptoms of stroke may include numbness, weakness often on one side, confusion, vision problems, slurred speech, trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance and loss of coordination.
If you are admitted to a Premier Health facility with symptoms of a stroke you may receive acute care services through physical therapy, occupational therapy or speech therapy.
Stroke rehabilitation is most effective when the patient, family, and rehabilitation staff work together as a team.
Post-acute services may include inpatient rehabilitation, comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation and outpatient single-service physical therapy, occupational therapy or speech therapy.
An evaluation conducted by our rehabilitation coordinator, in consultation with a physiatrist must reveal, at the minimum, the following for admission to our inpatient rehabilitation unit:
- Medical issues requiring regular physiatry management
- Rehabilitative nursing intervention
- Multiple therapy discipline needs
Conditions associated with a stroke could include:
- Aphasia (language disorder due to brain damage)
- Foot drop (difficulty lifting the foot)
- Hemiparesis (weakness on one side of the body)
- Homonymous hemianopsia (loss of half of the field of view on the same side in both eyes)
Individuals who have suffered a stroke can benefit from services offered by our stroke rehabilitation program including:
- Activities of daily living
- Cognitive (thinking) retraining
- Communication (aphasia training)
- Community re-integration
- Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing – a speech therapist performs a motion X-ray study to assess a patient’s swallow and safety with eating)
- Eating/swallowing (dysphagia training)
- Education and support
- Equipment and training
- Medication management
- Orthotic (custom-made inserts that fit inside a shoe) equipment and training
- Psychosocial issues
- Stroke support group
Offered through: Miami Valley Hospital, Good Samaritan Hospital, Atrium Medical Center, Upper Valley Medical Center