Anyone who has experienced a heart attack or coronary artery disease knows how devastating the effects of these conditions can be, but such a setback doesn’t have to be permanent.
Cardiac Rehabilitation Programs
With the help of Premier Health Cardiac Rehabilitation programs, more and more cardiac patients are returning to healthy, active lifestyles. The assistance of highly trained staff and a wide variety of equipment ensures safe, steady progress as program participants take an active role in improving cardiac function.
The cardiac rehabilitation program is divided into three phases:
- Phase I begins while the patient is still recovering in the hospital from a cardiac event or surgery. The goal of rehabilitation during this phase is to increase activity and strength through a monitored and structured exercise program.
- Phase II starts after the patient has returned home. With the physician's permission, the patient will continue as an outpatient while advancing in the recovery plan. Phase two includes an individual assessment, tailored exercise program with individual supervision, nutrition counseling, cardiac monitoring and education classes. Education classes include:
- Cardiac risk reduction strategies
- Developing healthy eating habit
- Reducing stress
- Smoking cessation (if needed)
- Phase III For the recovering heart patient and any person who is committed to a healthy lifestyle, cardiovascular fitness becomes a lifelong pursuit. For this reason, graduates of phase ii cardiac rehabilitation may choose to enroll in the third phase of cardiac rehabilitation, our outpatient maintenance program.
During maintenance, patients continue their recovery progress in a secure, familiar environment, while making the transition from monitored exercise to unmonitored, independent exercise. They also benefit from ongoing group interaction and support. Patients may continue in the maintenance program for as long as they wish to participate. Maintenance participants pay program fees out-of-pocket on a monthly basis.
Offered through: Miami Valley Hospital, Good Samaritan Hospital, Atrium Medical Center, Upper Valley Medical Center
Premier Health is proud to have over 2,300 physicians credentialed at our facilities. Search Find a Doctor to find a physician specialized in heart and vascular care.
Content Updated: March 4, 2016